Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Rain, rain, go away!

When I first arrived in Rome we were enjoying unseasonably warm and dry weather. All has changed. Since late last week it has been cooler and with Monday came the unbelievable papal resignation and the deluge of rain. In fact the lightening and thunder yesterday afternoon and evening were scary and spectacular at the same time.

But I do have to admit I really do not enjoy walking in the rain...it makes me realize how much I miss having a car to get from one place to another. However, I would never to drive here. Rome makes New York City traffic and driving look tame.

Today is the last day of Carnivale, or as we know it Mardi Gras. Ash Wednesday is tomorrow and with it comes the beginning of Lent. We will be going to the Basilica of Santa Sabina for Mass tomorrow morning.

Saint Sabina, one of the early Roman martyrs, was believed to have lived near the location of the basilica. Sabina was a widow who converted to Christianity through the evangelization of her slave, Seraphina. They were both put to death in the year 126. The church was built in the early 400s, but was renovated many times, with the final renovation taking place between 1914 and 1919. This final renovation restored the church to its original beauty and character. The church was entrusted to the Dominican order by Pope Honorius III and since then Saints Dominic and Thomas Aquinas, and countless other friars have passed through this sacred space. Pope Benedict XVI will also begin Lent by celebrating Mass here. Unfortunately we are having Mass at 7AM and his Mass will be in the evening.

I want to wish everyone a spiritually blest Lent. Pray for me. I am praying for you.









1 comment:

  1. I don't like rain either! Love your pictures and I wouldn't want to drive in Rome ever. I remember the traffic was horrible when I visited and it's probably so much worse now.

    Keeping you in prayer and may you also have a blest Lent.
    Kathy Faberge

    ReplyDelete